The Gunners forward was given a straight red card for a lunge on Max Meyer in the second half of the Gunners' 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace on Saturday
Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban

Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban

Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban

Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban

Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban

Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban
Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban
  • 2020-01-14 16:25:07 1 months ago
  • Views 3
0
Shared

Arsenal are reportedly hopeful that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's three-match ban will be reduced by the FA, although they will not appeal against it.

Gunners captain Aubameyang was initially booked by referee Paul Tierney for a lunge on Crystal Palace midfielder Max Meyer during Saturday's 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park, only for the decision to then be upgraded to a straight red card by VAR.

Television replays showed that Aubameyang clearly caught Meyer's ankle with his challenge, but Goal.com report that Arsenal feel that slowed down replays of the incident portrayed it to be much worse than it was.

The club are also said to be citing similar challenges on their own players which didn't result in any punishment this season, although their chances of getting the decision overturned or the ban reduced must surely be considered low.

Aubameyang was eventually set off for this lunge on Meyer

Forward Aubameyang is due to miss the forthcoming Premier League matches at home to Sheffield United and away to Chelsea , as well as the FA Cup fourth round tie at Bournemouth .

One man who is unlikely to agree with Arsenal's grounds for appeal is Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson, who claimed that a red card was a correct decision.

“I knew at the time it was a severe challenge and I’m not accusing Aubameyang of wanting deliberately to do that, but it was a bad challenge, a forward’s challenge," said Hodgson after the game.

The decision was upgraded to a red card by VAR

“He’s had his ankle bent almost in half, a 90-degree angle.

“The only thing that surprised me is it took them so long to decide it was a red card, because I don’t think I’ve seen a challenge which was more obviously a red card than that in a long, long time.”

What you think about this story?
Arsenal cite mitigating circumstances in hope to reduce Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ban

Olivia Buckland rants at fan who said she 'won Love Island' because she bagged Alex Bowen

Olivia Buckland rants at fan who said she 'won Love Island' because she bagged Alex Bowen

Olivia Buckland has ranted at a Love Island fan who said she won the show because she got together with Alex Bowen.

The reality TV star, 26, said she had been told she was "punching" above her weight when she coupled up with her now husband in the 2016 series, with trolls telling her that he is better looking than she is.

The fan tweeted her: "Let's be serious @OliviaDBuck will always be the real winner of love island!

"She coupled up with @ab_bowen07 , the best looking guy to ever enter the show and is now married to him no one will ever compare to these two #LoveIsland."

Olivia Buckland and Alex Bowen
Olivia didn't hold back

But Olivia saw it as a backhanded compliment, responding: "I win for many other reasons than just the fit guy I bagged."

Other Twitter users didn't like how she handled the tweet, saying it was an example of why "certain people can't warm to you".

She didn't care about this, telling them: "I'm not trying to make people warm to me.

"It's a lovely comment but it's really hard when originally I was told I was 'punching' and 'not worthy' so guess it all taps into that when I see people tell me I'm lucky for being married to someone attractive can't forget it!

Olivia and Alex on Love Island
Olivia and Alex on Love Island
Video Loading

"I apologise to Amelia 4 not thanking her for the nice side of the tweet, like I said it awakes the negativity I dealt/deal with telling me I’m not good enough.

"I’m not here trying to make people like me, I’m just being myself & trying to live as normal as poss & protect myself. X."

Another person then asked her why she was being "snide" to fans who were asking about her time in the villa.

The couple married last year

She said: "I was 22 in there I’m now 26 with two businesses & a different career. I'm such a different person. It's weird to talk about that part of my life, it's my life I can talk about it however I see fit."

Olivia and Alex placed second in the 2016 series behind winners Nathan Massey and Cara De La Hoyde.

They got engaged just a few months after leaving the villa and had the first Love Island wedding when they tied the knot in September 2018.

They're said to be the most successful islanders ever after amassing a rumoured £4.2million fortune between them.

Man to stand trial accused of the murder of mum-of-one Nadine Lott

Man to stand trial accused of the murder of mum-of-one Nadine Lott

A 32-year-old man is to stand trial accused of the murder of Nadine Lott who died after she sustained serious injuries in her home shortly before Christmas.

Mother-of-one Nadine Lott from Co Wicklow died on December 17 in St Vincent’s Hospital where she had been in a critical condition for the previous three days.

The beauty therapist had sustained serious injuries when found at her home in St Mary’s Court, Arklow, at around 4am, on December 14 last.

On December 16, her ex-partner Daniel Murtagh, of Melrose Grove, Clondalkin,Dublin appeared at Bray District Court accused of a serious assault of Ms Lott.

The charge was under section four of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act for causing serious harm which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

He had said “sorry” when that charge was put to him.

Nadine Lott

Bail was refused following an objection by Detective Garda Darren Mulhall, of Arklow Garda Station.

Mr Murtagh was remanded in custody and faced his third hearing, at Cloverhill District Court, today when the case was upgraded to murder.

Detective Garda Mulhall told Judge Victor Blake he charged the accused this morning.

He was cautioned after which “he made no reply” and was then handed a true copy of the charge sheet.

Dressed in a black jacket and dark trousers, Mr Murtagh nodded to family members in the public gallery as he entered the courtroom.

He sat silently, only speaking quietly to communicate with his solicitor Padraig O’Donovan, during the hearing.

Noting the new charge, Judge Blake asked if the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had issued formal directions. Detective Garda Mulhall said the directions were for trial on indictment in the Central Criminal Court.

Detective Garda Mulhall also told the court the assault charge still stands. The DPP had also directed that Mr Murtagh could be sent forward on a signed plea of guilty, should that arise.

His solicitor Mr O’Donovan said, “That will not apply.”

The accused was further remanded in custody and consented to appear via video-link for his next hearing at the same court on January 21. A book of evidence has to be prepared by the DPP.

He waved to his relatives as he was escorted from the courtroom.

Mr O’Donovan asked Judge Blake to direct psychiatric and medical attention for his client in custody.

Judge Blake agreed to make the recommendation if it was deemed appropriate.

Legal aid was granted.

Due to the nature of the new charge the district court cannot consider bail and an application will have to be brought to the High Court if the accused seeks to get released pending his trial.